- adjective not significant or not important
- Term indicating that the full measurement is not used. Usually slightly less than the full net measurement, as with 2" x 4" studs that have an actual size when dry of 1-1/2" x 3-1/2". pipe size designations are also described as nominal. For example, 2" nominal is 2-3/8" O.D.
- In the form most directly observed or named, in contrast to a form that has been adjusted or modified in some fashion.
- As measured in terms of money, usually in contrast to real.
(written as Nominal)The use of the adjective 'nominal' in economics distinguishes monetary changes in value that are merely inflationary from others corresponding to changes in the flow of goods and services. When there is a monetary change but no corresponding change in the flow of goods and services, the change is nominal.
- adjective referring to the official value of something rather than the actual value