- adjective in sea water near a coast
- adjective at a distance from a coast
- adjective on an island or in the sea near to land
- adjective based outside a country, especially in a tax haven
- A term describing companies and financial institutions doing business in a foreign country. The term has traditionally been used to describe financial centers where people can avoid paying taxes in their home country. Many online forex brokers have their headquarters offshore and located outside of the United States, the UK and the EU.