- Position of a planet opposite the Sun in the sky as seen from Earth. A planet at opposition is at its closest approach to the Earth and is visible all night, making opposition the ideal time for observation of the superior planets.
- The resistance something offers to something else. For example, the opposition a given material offers to the flow of current or to the passage of magnetic flux.
- The circumstance or state where two periodic quantities having the same frequency and waveshape are out-of-phase by 180°. Also called phase opposition.
- noun strong disagreement with a suggestion or plan, often including action to try to change or stop it
- noun hostility towards something
- noun a movement of the hand muscles in which the tip of the thumb is made to touch the tip of another finger so as to hold something
- noun the action of trying to stop something or of not agreeing to something
- noun the largest political party which opposes the government
- noun a group of parties which oppose the government
- noun the person or team that you or another player or team have to play against