- noun a cleared level area at the end of a runway, available in case a plane does not stop quickly enough
Cars & Driving
- noun a vehicle travelling with no throttle and the engine acting as a brake is said to be ‘on the overrun’ or ‘overrunning.’
- verb to travel faster than the towing vehicle
- noun data that was missed by a receiver because it was not synchronised with the transmitter or because it operates at a slower speed than the transmitter and has no buffer
- The amount the cost of an item increases beyond the estimated cost.
- The amount a quantity increases over the estimated quantity.
- verb to print more copies than expected of a publication
- verb to transfer set type or illustrated material from one column, page or line to the next
- verb of a broadcast, to take more time than the allotted slot
- verb to fight your way onto an enemy position
- noun an act of taking text over to another line because of additions
- noun an act of remaking a line or lines of print, because of deletions or additions at proof stage
- noun the making of more paper than has been ordered
- noun the printing of more sheets than specified
- verb to print more sheets than are required, in case any are faulty