- noun a computer peripheral consisting of a knob or device which is turned to move a cursor or pointer on the screen
- A tool or implement with a wide blade at one end.
- A computer input device which moves the screen cursor, or another object, along a single axis.
- noun an device for operating early video games with a dial that allowed the user to move an on-screen object up and down or from side to side
- noun an instrument like a short oar, designed to propel an assault boat or canoe by hand
- verb to hit, beat, thrash. This synonym of ‘wallop’ probably derives from the archaic use of the noun paddle to mean both hand and, more rarely, foot. long before signifying a bat, paddle also denoted a small spade.