General English

General Science

  • noun a board with switches, dials, control knobs or similar features for indicating performance


  • noun a flat, often rectangular piece of the skin of the aircraft
  • noun a board with switches, dials, control knobs, etc.


  • noun a group of people who give advice on a problem

Cars & Driving

  • noun a part made from sheet metal; e.g. door panel
  • noun plastic moulding; e.g. interior trim of doors


  • noun a flat section of a casing with control knobs or sockets


  • A section of form sheathing, constructed from boards, plywood, metal sheets, etc., that can be erected and stripped as a unit.
  • A concrete member, usually precast, rectangular in shape, and relatively thin with respect to other dimensions.
  • A sheet of plywood, particleboard, or other similar product, usually of a standard size, such as 4' x 8'.


  • A three-person committee assembled by the WTO to hear evidence in disputes between members, as part of the WTO dispute settlement mechanism. Panels are also used to settle disputes under NAFTA.


  • A rigid surface, sheet, or board upon which multiple indicators and devices, such as switches and dials are mounted, so as to enable a user to monitor and control a system. Used, for instance, to control an aircraft. Also called control panel (1).
  • A surface, sheet, or board upon which instruments and/or their indicators are mounted. Also called instrument panel.
  • A rigid surface, sheet, or board which serves to protect, cover, or hide. For example, that on the back of an instrument or device. Such a panel often has connectors, controls, and so on.
  • A device usually consisting of multiple solar cells which are connected to produce a given power output. Also called solar panel.

Information & Library Science

  • noun a rectangular piece of paper on the spine of a book, giving the title and author
  • noun a list of works by the same author printed on the page facing the title page

Media Studies

  • noun a piece of text that is separated from the main body of text by lines above and below, also usually printed in a larger size font
  • noun a poster for advertising purposes


  • noun a flat surface standing upright

Real Estate

  • noun a flat rectangular piece of hard material that serves as a part of something such as a door or wall, often raised above or sunk in the surface
  • noun a section between two posts in a fence or gate
  • verb to cover interior walls with wooden panels

Origin & History of “panel”

Etymologically, a panel is nothing more than a ‘small pane’. It comes via Old French from vulgar Latin *pannellus, a diminutive form of Latin pannus ‘rag’ (source of English pane (13th c.)). both panel and pane entered English with their original ‘cloth’ connotations intact, but they have now virtually died out, surviving only in the compound counterpane (which is actually an alteration of an earlier counterpoint), and ‘shape’ has taken over from ‘substance’ as the word’s key semantic feature.