- noun a punishment for breaking a law or rule
- noun in sport, an advantage given to one side who has broken a rule, especially a kick directly at goal awarded to the opposite side in football
- noun a fine or other action taken to punish someone for doing something
- noun an arbitrary pre-arranged sum that becomes payable if one party breaks a term of a contract or an undertaking. The most common penalty is a high rate of interest on an unauthorised overdraft.
- noun an unwanted result of an action
- noun a punishment such as a fine which is imposed if something is not done or if a law is not obeyed
- noun a disadvantage imposed on a player or team for breaking a rule in a sport or game, e.g. a free shot at the goal awarded to the opposing side.
- noun a goal scored from a penalty kick