- noun a document or pass that is proof of official permission to do or have something
- noun an official document which allows someone to do something
- A document issued by a governing authority such as a building inspector approving specific construction. Among the types of permits are the building permit, demolition, zoning, grading, septic, plumbing and electrical permits.
- A license issued by government granting permission to engage in some activity, such as to export, import, or invest.
Information & Library Science
- noun an official document allowing somebody to do a particular thing
- verb to allow something to be done
- verb to allow someone to do something