• A typesetting device which takes a computer input, such as that from disk, and produces a high resolution output on paper, film, or other medium. Such devices usually utilize lasers, and may have resolutions in excess of 3600 dpi. Also spelled photo-typesetter. Also called imagesetter.

Information & Library Science

  • noun a person who works with a computer and light-sensitive film to produce text ready for printing

Media Studies

  • noun a device that can make high-quality reproductions of text on photosensitive paper or film