- noun the crime of attacking ships at sea and stealing what is in them
- noun the illegal copying of things such as books, records or computer programs
- noun the process of copying patented inventions or copyrighted works
- The unauthorized copying and subsequent use and/or sale of software with copyright protection. When purchasing a program, an individual or entity becomes a licensed user, and can usually make backup copies when possible. Also called software piracy.
- The unauthorized copying and subsequent use and/or sale of material, such as that contained in a book or DVD, with copyright protection.
Information & Library Science
- noun the act of illegally copying a piece of work under copyright
- noun the activity of copying patented inventions or copyright works
- noun the illegal copying, distribution or broadcasting of copyright-protected media texts such as films, programmes, CDs etc