- verb to catch animals, birds or fish illegally on someone else’s property
- verb to trample the ground in wet weather. heavy soils such as clays are particularly susceptible to poaching.
- verb to attempt to catch a ball that is clearly going towards another member of the fielding side
Citation ‘Grout had scooped the ball to square leg where Kanhai awaited the simplest of catches. Hall, however, raced over, “poached” the catch and dropped it’
- verb to cook something, e.g. eggs without their shells, or fish, in gently boiling liquid
- verb to play a shot that properly should be handled by a partner in badminton, tennis, squash or handball