point of presence
- noun a telephone access number for a service provider that can be used to connect to the Internet via a modem.
- The physical location where a long-distance telephone network interfaces with a local exchange carrier.
- The physical location where a cellular telephone network interfaces with a local exchange carrier.
- An access point where different communications services interface, such as a the location where a LAN meets a local exchange carrier.
Information & Library Science
- noun a location where a user can connect to a network, e.g. a place where subscribers can dial in to an Internet service provider.