point of sale
- noun a place where a product is sold, e.g. a shop.
- A location at which purchases are made.
- An electronic system incorporating equipment such as bar code, RFID, and/or magnetic stripe readers, and terminals, for pricing and recording transactions, updating inventories, obtaining purchase authorizations, and the like. Also called point-of-sale system.
- A specific location which is a part of a point of sale (2). For instance, a department store may have several dozen such stations. Also called electronic point-of-sale.
Information & Library Science
- noun the place where things sold in a shop are paid for.
- noun the place where a product is bought by the customer