- An initial criminal legal proceeding where the prosecutor attempts to show that the defendant is guilty of the crime they are accused of by showing proof to the court. If the preliminary hearing convinces the judge that a charge is justified, the case can move to the next stage, otherwise charges are dropped.
- noun the first meeting of an industrial tribunal where the tribunal decides if it is competent to hear the case
- noun court proceedings where the witnesses and the defendant are examined to see if there are sufficient grounds for the case to proceed
- noun in the small claims track, a hearing to decide if special directions should be issued, or if the statement of case should be struck out
- noun court proceedings to try a specific issue rather than the whole case