- adjective early, happening before anything else
- With reference to a tariff or other trade barrier applied as a result of administered protection, this refers to a barrier imposed part way through the administrative process, as opposed to the definitive barrier that is imposed when the administrative process is complete.
- adjective happening before other things as an introduction or in preparation
- adjective happening at an early stage in a process
- noun a sporting contest held before the main event, especially in boxing or wrestling
- noun an eliminatory contest staged to select the finalists in a sporting competition