- noun a person or company that is represented by an agent
- noun a person acting for him or herself, such as a marketmaker buying securities on his or her own account
- noun money invested or borrowed on which interest is paid
- The principal authority or person responsible for a business such as architecture, engineering, or construction.
- The capital amount of a loan or other obligation as distinguished from the interest.
- In professional practice, any person legally responsible for the activities ofthat practice.
- The person or entity under whose debt or obligation is the subject or a performance or payment bond issued by a surety.
- adjective greatest in number or importance
- noun the initial amount of money invested or borrowed
- The amount of money owed on a debt instrument excluding the interest paid on it, or the size of an investment or financial transaction. The principal amount of a forex or currency option deal is the transaction size, which is usually above $1 million in the Interbank forex market. also called face amount.
(written as Principal)In health economics, this refers to one of the parties in the agency relationship. The principal is the party on whose behalf an agent acts.
- noun the initial sum of money invested or borrowed, before interest or other revenue is added, or the remainder of that sum after payments have been made
- noun a person who is responsible for something, especially someone who is in charge of a company or someone who commits a crime
- noun someone for whom a representative or proxy acts in a legal matter