- noun a method of ensuring that a person’s personal or credit card payment details cannot be intercepted and read when transferred over the Internet
- noun a situation of not being disturbed by other people, especially the knowledge that communications are private and cannot be accessed by others
- noun the right of an individual to limit the extent of and control the access to the data that is stored about him
- The state of being concealed from others, especially against unsanctioned intrusion. Used, for instance, in the context of data preparation, transmission, reception, and storage.
Information & Library Science
- noun the state of being left alone to do things
- noun freedom from the observation, interference or attention of other people, sometimes protected by law