- The portion of a computer which has the necessary circuits to interpret and execute instructions, and to control all other parts of the computer. The processor consists of the control unit and the arithmetic-logic unit, both usually contained on a single chip, in which case it is also called microprocessor. Also called CPU (1), or central processor (1).
- Software or hardware that in any manner processes data. For instance, a word processor, a language translation program, or a processor (1).
- A component, circuit, device, unit, piece of equipment, system, or mechanism which is utilized in the completion of a given process (1).
Information & Library Science
- noun a computer that is able to manipulate data according to given instructions.
- noun a machine or person that processes