- A magnetic tape or disk head which both reads and writes to the magnetic medium. For instance, such a head in the disk drive of a computer. Also called combined head.
- A transducer which converts electrical signals into magnetic signals which can be recorded or stored on magnetic recording media, such as tapes or disks, and which also converts magnetic signals recorded or stored on said media into output electrical signals, and which can also delete such recorded material. Also called magnetic head (4), or magnetic read/write head.
- abbreviationR/W head
Information & Library Science
- noun a device in a disk drive that can read data on a disk or add data to a disk
- noun the part of a disk drive mechanism in a computer which reads data from, or writes data onto, the disk
- noun an electromagnetic device that allows data to be read from or written to a storage medium.