- noun the act of looking at and understanding written words
- noun an occasion when someone speaks the words of something which is written
- noun a note taken of figures or degrees, especially of degrees on a scale
- The performance of a read (1), read (2), or read (3) operation.
- The information conveyed via a read (3). Also, to take such a reading.
- noun in aesthetic theory, a wide-ranging term roughly meaning ‘the reception and interpretation of a text or sign’
- noun one of the three stages of discussion of a bill in parliament
- noun the act of reading proofs or a manuscript and making comments
- noun the act of reading books or newspapers
- noun the act of reading printed text