- noun the situation of not being needed because other similar things exist
- noun the dismissal of a person whose job no longer needs to be done
- noun a person who has lost a job because they are not needed any more
- noun the process of providing extra components in a system in case there is a breakdown
- noun the dismissal of a person whose skills are no longer needed
- The quality or state of being redundant.
- The duplication of components, circuits, devices, equipment, systems, mechanisms, procedures, or the like, to allow for continued operation after a failure, malfunction, error, or other problem. For example, the incorporation of redundant components for fault-tolerance, the use of additional bits in error correction, or the use of a RAID for fault-tolerance and data backup.
- noun a state where someone is no longer employed, because the job being done is no longer needed
- noun the practice of maintaining additional military resources to replace those which are destroyed or neutralized