- noun an act of mentioning something or someone
- noun a piece of work mentioned in a publication by someone else, usually listed at the end with details of the author, source and date
- noun the process of mentioning or dealing with something
- noun a person such as a former employer or teacher who can give a report on someone’s character, ability or job performance
- noun a value used as a starting point for other values, often zero
- verb to access a location in memory
- That which serves as a basis for comparison with something else. For example, a reference level or position.
- A component, circuit, device, or piece of equipment whose specifications lend it to be compared to others in its category.
- An act of mentioning something else.
- A written work utilized as a source of information.
Information & Library Science
- noun a letter written by a person to support somebody’s application for a job
- noun coded information which tells you where to find a document or stored item
- noun an acknowledgement of somebody else’s work quoted in a written document
- noun a note directing a reader’s attention to another source of information
- noun the act of passing a problem to a someone for his or her opinion
- noun the numbers or letters given to a document which make it possible to find it after it has been filed
- noun somebody who reports on someone’s character, ability, etc.
- noun a grid or map reference
- noun passing a problem to a committee or expert for an opinion
- noun a person who reports on someone’s character or ability
- noun a statement concerning someone’s character or qualifications, usually given to a potential employer