- adjective used for cooling or freezing purposes
- noun a substance used to provide cooling or freezing either as the working substance of a refrigerator or by direct absorption of heat
Cars & Driving
- noun a substance used in refrigerating systems; automotive air conditioners now use non-Freon systems as well as the refrigerant R-12 (Freon) as a heat transfer medium
- The medium used to absorb heat in a cooling cycle.
- A substance which serves to cool an object, material, region, component, device, piece of equipment, and so on. At cryogenic temperatures neon may be used as a refrigerant, at low temperatures nitrogen could be utilized, and air may be used at high temperatures, as in its cooling of heat sinks.