- noun the extent to which you consider something or care about it
- noun an opinion of someone that shows how much you respect them
- plural noun best wishes
- verb to look at someone or something
- noun a particular point or aspect
- verb to look upon or consider in a particular way
Origin & History of “regard”
The notions of ‘looking at something, keeping it in sight’ and ‘guarding it’ are closely linked, and often coexist in single words. Watch is an example, and so was Old French garder, ancestor of English guard. Addition of the prefix re- ‘back’ produced regarder ‘look back at, keep one’s eyes on’, hence simply ‘look at’. The Anglo-Norman version of the word gave English reward.