- noun a rule laid down by the Council of Ministers or commission of the European Union which is of general application, binding in its entirety and applies directly to all member states
- plural noun rules made by ministers, which then have to be submitted to parliament for approval
- plural noun rules laid down by the Council or Commission of the European Communities, according to the European Union treaties, which are binding on all member States of the EU without any implementing legislation being passed.
- plural noun rules made by organisations, clubs or councils, which have to be followed by their members
- plural noun in the European union, rules or laws made by the Council of Ministers or Commission which apply directly to all member States.