- verb to put someone or something in the place of someone or something else
- verb to find a certain item of data and put another in its place.
- The placing of text, numbers, or other data where other text, numbers, or data previously was. For example, to replace all occurrences of the word delay with the phrase time delay in a text document. Seen, for instance, in search and replace procedures.
Information & Library Science
- verb to put a new item in the place of one that is broken, worn out or unsuitable
- verb to exchange one part for another
- verb to put something back in its original position
- verb to obtain a new object to take the place of one that has been damaged or lost
- verb to arrange for someone to take the place of another person