- verb to put in an official order for something or to ask for supplies to be sent
- To apply for progress payments based on work completed at the end of the pay period (usually one month). Abbreviated term for application for payment.
- verb to take private property into the ownership of the state for the state to use
- verb to demand or request formally
- noun an order placed by an institution, e.g. by a college to the college bookshop asking for books to be ordered for students taking a particular course