- noun the ability of an organism not to be affected by something such as a disease, stress factor, process or treatment
- noun the opposition of a body or substance to current passing through it
- noun opposition felt or shown by people to something
- The opposition a material offers to the flow of current, with the concomitant conversion of electrical energy into heat energy. Resistance may be intentionally introduced into a circuit, for instance, for current regulation or for voltage regulation. In an AC circuit, resistance is the real number component of impedance. Expressed in ohms, or fractions/multiples of ohms. Its symbol is R. Also called electrical resistance.
- A specific resistance (1) value, such as that of a conductor, component, circuit, or device. Also called resistance value.
- The real number component of acoustic impedance. Expressed in acoustical ohms. Also called acoustic resistance.
- The capability or extent to which a material or body can withstand something. For example, abrasion, impact, or heat resistance.
- A region of an asset's price where selling has or is expected to emerge that will often provoke a market reversal to the downside. Many forex traders that base their trading decisions on technical analysis will regularly assess the resistance levels in the exchange rate for a currency pair before establishing a position or placing an order.
- noun the ability of a person not to get a disease
- noun the ability of bacteria or a virus to remain unaffected by a drug
- noun an act of resisting
- noun a secret organization which opposes (often with armed force) the established government or an occupying power
- noun an action which shows that people are opposed to something
- noun a group which fights secretly against an enemy occupying a country