- noun the act of keeping something
- noun the act of holding something back
- noun the act of keeping the loyalty of existing customers, as opposed to acquisition, which is the act of acquiring new customers. Both can be aims of advertising campaigns.
- noun the process of keeping the loyalty of existing employees and persuading them not to work for another company
- A percentage, usually 10%, withheld from a periodic payment to a contractor, in accordance with the owner-contractor agreement, for work completed. The retention is held until all terms of the contract have been fulfilled.
- The amount of preservative, fire retardant treatment, or resin retained by treated or impregnated wood.
- noun the act of keeping the loyalty of existing customers, one possible aim of an advertising campaign.
- noun the act of not letting out something, especially a fluid, which is usually released from the body, e.g. holding back urine in the bladder
- noun an amount of money that is part of a sum agreed to be paid to someone but not paid until a condition has been satisfied