General English


  • noun a tractor-drawn implement used for breaking clods, firming the soil, pushing stones into the soil and providing a smooth firm surface for drilling


  • noun a rotation about the longitudinal axis of the aircraft, created by movement of the ailerons
  • noun a flight manoeuvre with 360° rotation about the longitudinal axis of the aircraft


  • noun something which has been turned over and over to wrap round itself
  • verb to make something go forward by turning it over or pushing it on wheels

Cars & Driving

  • noun the angular displacement of a vehicle about its longitudinal axis, i.e. tendency of a vehicle to heel over when cornering or in high cross winds


  • A quantity of sheet material wound in cylindrical form.
  • A rounded strip of roofing fastened to and running along the ridge of a roof.
  • Any type of rounded molding.
  • Any heavy, metal cylinder used to flatten, smooth, or form material.
  • A slang term referring to the installation of floor joists or trusses.


  • To move along a surface by revolving around an axis. For instance, for a mouse ball to roll over a mouse pad. Also, to cause to move in this manner.
  • To move, or be moved, along a surface using wheels or other devices which roll (1). For example, a robot with wheels traversing a terrain.
  • That which is wrapped around itself. For instance, a roll of film. Also, to wrap around itself. Also, that which is usually rolled around itself, even if it is not wound at a given moment.
  • Movement in a clockwise or counterclockwise manner. For example, the wrist roll of a robot.
  • A slow vertical movement of the entire image presented on a TV display, due to improper vertical synchronization.


  • A small bread separately cooked from about 50 to 60 g of raw dough
  • Any food item shaped like a cylinder e.g. Swiss roll, meat roll, etc.

Media Studies

  • verb to cause credits, titles or other captions to move in a continuous upwards direction on a cinema or television screen, or move in this way
  • verb to apply ink to type or a plate with a roller
  • verb to function, or cause something to function, especially a cine camera or printing press


  • noun a list of names


  • noun an act of sexual intercourse. Usually heard in a fairly light-hearted context, particularly in the cliché ‘a roll in the hay’.
  • noun an act of mugging or robbing, particularly of an already unconscious person. A rare noun form of the verb sense.
  • verb to rob or mug (someone). Originally the term referred to robbing someone who was dead drunk or asleep, hence literally rolling over an inert body in order to rifle pockets.
  • verb to have sex with. The verb form is much rarer than the noun in this sense.
  • verb to leave. The word was used in this sense in the 1960s and has again become fashionable since the mid-1990s.

Origin & History of “roll”

English has two words roll, both of which go back ultimately to Latin rotulus ‘small wheel’, a diminutive form of rota ‘wheel’ (source of English rotate, rotund, round, etc). this passed via Old French rolle into English as roll ‘rolled-up parchment’ (13th c.). The modern French version of the word has given English role (17th c.), whose underlying notion is of a ‘rolled-up’ piece of paper with the actor’s lines written on it. From rotulus was derived the vulgar Latin verb *rotulāre, which has given English its verb roll (14th c.). Control comes from the same source.