- Acronym for read-only memory. A chip, cartridge, or other storage device, whose content can be read, but not changed. ROM is usually programmed by the manufacturer, although some types, such as PROM, are user-programmable. Certain varieties of ROM, such as EEPROM, can be erased, but once programmed the content can not be altered. It is a non-volatile form of memory, and is utilized, for instance, to store the BIOS of a computer, fonts in a printer, or to contain video games.
- acronym forread-only memory
- acronym forread-only storage
- Stored data which can not be altered. Also called fixed storage.
Information & Library Science
- noun a computer system which allows data to be read but not edited.
- acronym forrefuelling on the move