- noun a part of a building which covers it and protects it
- noun the top of the inside of the mouth
- noun the top of a vehicle, e.g. a car, bus or lorry
- The outer cover and its supporting structures on the top of a building.
- A mixture for stuffing fish from Senegal consisting of sweet peppers, onions or leeks or similar, garlic, parsley or other fresh herb, salt and a chopped chilli pepper, all processed to a fine smooth paste with a little oil or water.
- noun the top part of a cavity
- noun the outside covering of the top of a building, or the framework supporting this
- verb to fix a roof onto a building
Origin & History of “roof”
The antecedents of roof are far from clear. Its only surviving relative seems to be Dutch roef ‘cabin, coffin lid’, and although it also had links with Old Norse hróf ‘boat-shed’, its ultimate origins remain a mystery.