- Twisted strands of fiber made into strong, flexible cord.
- Strands of wire braided or twisted together that are used for heavy hoisting or hauling.
- noun a type of bacteria that infects bread and milk, giving them a ropy consistency
- noun a thick line of twisted fibres, normally used for pulling or suspending heavy objects
- noun a decorative metal chain, especially a heavy golden chain as worn by males. This item of hip hop regalia dates from the early 1980s. A synonym is cable.
Origin & History of “rope”
is a general
, represented also
by German reif
, Dutch reep
, Swedish rep
, and Danish reb
(the German word
now means ‘hoop, loop’). these point
to a prehistoric Germanic ancestor
, whose ultimate origins are not known. A stirrup
is etymologically a ‘climbing rope’.