- noun a device that connects two or more LANs that use the same protocol, and allows data to be transmitted between each network
- noun a device that switches telephone calls to another network that may offer cheaper rates
- noun a communications device that receives data packets in a particular protocol and forwards them to their correct location via the most efficient route
- noun a device that connect two or more LANs that use the same protocol and allows data to be transmitted between each network. The router works at the network layer level of the OSI model.
- An electrically driven device with various bits for cutting grooves or channels in wood.
- In a communications network, or multiple interconnected networks, a device or software which determines where packets, messages, or other signals travel to next. A router, using resources such as header information, algorithms, and router tables, establishes the best available path from its source to destination. Within the OSI Reference Model, a router that operates at the network layer. Also called network router, or gateway (2).