- To approve or give permission for an action, as when an international organization sanctions the use of particular economic policies.
- A coercive measure used by a nation or group of nations against another as a penalty for violating international law or international norms. Usually plural: sanctions.
- noun an official order to do something
- noun punishment by a court for failure to comply with an order
- noun a punishment for an act which goes against what is generally accepted behaviour
- verb to approve or permit something officially
- noun official permission to do something
- verb to approve officially or to give official permission