General English

Cars & Driving

  • noun an abrasive paper coated with sand for smoothing and cleaning.


  • Strong, tough paper coated on one side with glue or other adhesive material, into which an abrasive such as flint, silica, or aluminum oxide has been embedded. The resulting product is used primarily for resurfacing or cutting wood, metal, plastic, or glass and is available in an extensive range of coarseness or grit.