- A radiation counter which incorporates a scintillation material. As ionizing particles strike said material, the emitted bursts of light are detected by a photomultiplier tube. The output of said tube is then analyzed to determine the level of activity. Used, for instance, for the detection of high-energy photons such as X-rays or gamma rays. Also called scintillator (2), scintillation detector, scintillation meter, scintillator detector, scintillator counter, or scintillometer.
- synonymscintillation detector
- synonymscintillation meter
- synonymscintillator counter
- synonymscintillator detector
- noun a substance which produces a flash of light when struck by radiation