- The differential concentration of the components of mixed concrete, aggregate, or the like, resulting in nonuniform proportions in the mass. See also separation.
- noun the act of keeping raw materials or ingredients away from each other, in order to avoid contamination
- noun the act of separating one person, group or thing from others, or of dividing people or things into separate groups which are kept apart from each other
- noun the separation of the alleles of each gene and their distribution to separate sex cells during the formation of these cells in organisms with paired chromosomes
- noun the practice of keeping ethnic, racial, religious, or gender groups separate, especially by enforcing the use of separate facilities such as schools and usually discriminating against a minority group