- noun the regulation of an industry by its own members, usually by means of a committee that issues guidance and sets standards that it then enforces
- noun the regulation of an industry by itself, through a committee which issues a rulebook and makes sure that members of the industry follow the rules (as in the case of the regulation of the Stock Exchange by the stock exchange Council)
- The ability of a component, circuit, device, piece of equipment, system or mechanism, to monitor its own operation, and automatically make the appropriate changes. Seen, for instance, in control systems.
- noun the practice of some industries who set up their own regulatory agencies
- noun an athlete’s ability to follow a training regime and adapt it according to current needs, e.g. to resist training while injured, without supervision