- Within a communications network, a computer whose hardware and/or software resources are shared by other computers. Servers, among other functions, control access to the network and manage network resources. There are various types of servers, including application servers, file servers, network access servers, and Web servers.
- Within a network with a client/server architecture, a computer and/or program which responds to requests made by clients.
Information & Library Science
- noun a computer with a large storage capacity which provides a function to a network of terminals
- noun a computer that controls network services available on other computers
- noun somebody who serves at table or a buffet
- noun a large flat knife for serving food