- noun the action of cutting off the light of the sun
- noun a simple method of applying shading to a three-dimensional scene using a single point of light and calculating the shade and highlights on each object; this type of shading is calculated for each polygon that makes up an object and can sometimes causes unwanted effects as shading may differ on each polygon
- Any enhancements made to shadows present in an image or scene, or the creation of shadows for a given visual effect, such as for highlighting, realism, or 3D. Used, for instance, in computer graphics and TV.
- In TV, the compensation of spurious signals generated by a camera tube during flyback.
- noun the act of showing darker sections of a line drawing by adding dark colour or by drawing criss-cross lines