- noun an area which is not affected by sunlight
- noun an area which is not affected by full radiation because of partial or full blocking of rays by something between the area and the source of the radiation
- An image, shape, or area which is dark due to the interception of light rays by an opaque body or entity.
- An area of relative darkness. Also, the dark or darker portions of an image.
- A region where radiation, such as light, X-rays, or sound does not reach, due to the interception by a body, entity, or medium through which such radiation can not pass. Also, such a region present on a film, such as that of an X-ray.
Information & Library Science
- verb to follow somebody closely throughout their working day in order to study what they do
- noun a dark part of a photograph or halftone