- noun a long, generally cylindrical bar, especially one that rotates and transmits power
Cars & Driving
- noun a round bar which transmits turning power from one part to another.
- That portion of a column between the base and the capital.
- An elevator well.
- A pit dug from the ground surface to a tunnel to furnish access and ventilation.
- Any enclosed vertical space in a building used for utilities or ventilation.
- Any cylindrical rod connecting moving parts in a machine.
- A long and narrow rod or pole.
- A ray or beam of light.
- noun the long central section of a long bone
- noun main central section of the erect penis
- noun the penis. A predictable but rare use of the standard term.
- noun an alternative form of a shafting. It usually occurs in the form ‘get the shaft’.
- verb to have sex with, penetrate. From the noun shaft, denoting the penis.
- verb to ruin, damage, destroy (someone). Most often heard in the form of the past participle ‘shafted’, this term is another example of a slang word literally meaning to have sex with someone used metaphorically to mean humiliate or abase.
Origin & History of “shaft”
is a general
, shared by German and Dutch schaft
and Swedish and Danish skaft
. these point back
to a common
been descended from
the Indo-European base
- ‘support’ (source
of English sceptre