- noun (written as short circuit)an electrical failure caused by an accidental flow of current between two points in a circuit
Cars & Driving
- noun (written as short circuit)an electrical fault whereby the current bypasses part of the circuit and finds a path of low resistance through which an excessive current can flow, causing a fuse to blow, wiring to be overloaded or a flat battery
- (written as short circuit)An accidental electric connection of relatively low resistance between two points of different potential in an electric circuit, causing a high current flow between the two points.
- (written as short circuit)A low-resistance connection which is established between two points in a circuit, bypassing any paths with higher resistance. Also, such a connection between the conductors of a transmission line. Such a short may be intentional, but when accidental or otherwise unintentional usually causes damage due to excessive current flow. Its abbreviation is short.
- To establish or cause a short circuit connection. Its abbreviation is short.