Cars & Driving
- noun the action or result of skidding
- verb to slide sideways (often out of control)
- verb to slide in a straight line (as after sudden braking with, maybe, locked brakes)
- noun a flat wooden base on which goods can be stacked for easy handling by a fork-lift truck
- noun a scruffy, disreputable individual. The term, used in the USA and Canada since the 1990s, is probably based on ‘skid row’.
- verb to leave, go away. A usage which was fashionable among adolescents in Britain in the late 1980s.
- verb to ‘slum’, make do with little money, secondhand clothes, etc. This student term of the 1980s is probably inspired by ‘skid row’