- A service which allows for the sending of messages no longer than a given length, such as 160 characters, or a given number of bytes, such as 140. It is usually used in the context of wireless devices such as cell phones and PDAs, and may consist of text or simple graphics. Also called SMS service.
- A specific message sent via an SMS service. Also called SMS message.
- A standard enabling such messaging. Also called SMS standard.
- A technology enabling such a service. Also called SMS technology.
Information & Library Science
- noun a service that allows short text messages to be sent, e.g. between mobile phones and pagers.