- noun a little flash of fire or of light
- verb to send out sparks or to make electric sparks
- verb to make something start suddenly
Cars & Driving
- noun an electric spark that jumps across the sparking plug gap to initiate the combustion of the air/fuel mixture
- A momentary luminous discharge of electricity between two conductors separated by a gas, which is frequently accompanied by a crackling noise. Used, for instance, for ignition of fuel, or for machining. This contrasts with an arc (1), which has a more sustained duration. Also called spark discharge, sparkover, or electric spark.
- noun an electrician responsible for lighting on a film shoot
- verb to incite someone to anger or violence. A vogue term among British adolescents since the 1990s.
- verb to hit (someone). The term may be based on the phrase spark out, meaning (knocked) unconscious.
- verb to take drugs, become stoned