- noun a pin or bar which rotates or on which something rotates
Cars & Driving
- noun a rotating rod that acts as a shaft
- A small axle on which an object turns.
- The bar in a lock that connects the knob(s) or handle(s) with the latching mechanism.
- A short, turned-wood part, such as a baluster.
- A part, such as a rod or shaft, which serves as an axis or point around which a revolving motion takes place. An example is a capstan. A spindle may also serve to position and hold things, as is the case with the central shaft which holds a phonographic record in place on the platter.
- The rotating shaft of a hard drive or optical drive, around which a platter or disc revolves.
- noun a long thin structure
- noun a structure formed in cells during division to which the chromosomes are attached by their centromeres
- noun a long thin piece of wood that is shaped somewhat like the spindle of a spinning wheel, e.g. a baluster
- noun a rotating rod on a device such as a door handle