- The causing of particles, such as atoms or ions, to be removed from a surface, as occurs, for instance, through particle bombardment.
- The coating of a surface with particles, such as atoms or ions, in short bursts.
- The ejection or emission of particles, signals, sounds, or the like, in short and usually irregular bursts.
- In a vacuum tube, the emission of particles from a cathode which is disintegrating as a consequence of bombardment by high-energy ions. Also called cathode sputtering (1).
- The use of sputtering (4) to deposit a thin film of a metal onto a surface such as glass, metal, or plastic. Also called cathode sputtering (2).