- abbreviation a method of providing a safe channel over the Internet to allow a user’s credit card or personal details to be safely transmitted
- noun a protocol designed by Netscape that provides secure communications over the Internet.
- acronymS HTTP
- acronym forPGP
- acronym forSEPP
- acronym forSET
- acronym forSTT
- noun a system developed to provide a secure link between a user’s browser and a vendor’s website to allow the user to pay for goods over the Internet.
- Abbreviation of secure Sockets layer. A protocol utilized for the encryption of messages and documents sent over the Internet, helping insure authentication, privacy, and data integrity. SSL is supported by most browsers, and is used, for instance, when transmitting financial account information or when paying for purchases. SSL is now part of TLS, which is a more complete protocol, however the two are not mutually compatible. Also called SSL protocol.
- acronym forsecure socket layer